Friday, March 30, 2012

DIY Upholsterd Headboard!

Yay! I am soooo freakin excited about this post! I did the biggest project yet! 

When me and my husband bought our bedroom furniture, it was from a friend and had everything but the headboard. I was totally cool with that since all I really needed were some drawers for all my clothes. I knew I could just find some other headboard or something later on. 

Well it is now later on...I am changing up our entire bedroom! If you saw my last post you will get an idea of what I'm going for. I want to keep everything light since I will be painting the dressers and nightstands black! 

First you want to measure how long of a piece of wood you will need!...Ours was about 64 in with a little hanging out on each side. Then how tall you want it. We had to keep it about 37 in because that was the biggest that would fit into my car! Plus keep in mind that fabric only comes so wide. I just pick a piece of wood that was about $15. It doesn't need to be pretty or anything. Next have the guy at the store cut it to your measurements. 

Next I picked up all of the other supplies. 

 A staple gun with staples and the bracket to hold it on the wall. I will explain that later. I got the fabric, batting and button making stuff at Hobby Lobby. And a twin sized bed pad at Walmart (should have gone with the double). 

I forgot to get the other half to the button making kit that makes it easier but I managed and did that first. 

Next I measured where I wanted my 12 buttons to go and marked the spots. Make sure they are level and straight or you will notice in the end. 

Then I layered everything on top evenly and stapled the batting down first and then the fabric. I should have gotten the double mattress pad because the twin was just a little too short, so when I stapled everything down it shifted from the top a little and I can tell it shifted because the fabric is so light. Lesson learned for next time. 

Next you can thread your upholstery thread to your long needle and sew on your buttons. You will just pull back tight and staple the back. 

You might be able to see that I went all different directions, if you don't the thread will just slip from the staple. 

 Yay! You can see on the bottom where it doesn't cover the whole piece of wood but that part will be cover by the mattress so its ok! 

Next you want to attach the bracket thing to the back. It is made for hanging large frames or mirrors. I bought and attached two so that I would stay even and level. One part goes on the wall and the other goes on the headboard and they just slide into each other. 

Here is the finished product! Pretty awesome! I'm in love with it! If you have any questions just leave me a comment and I will get back to you! Hope you like it!


Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hi everyone! This is going to be a quick post!
I am redoing our master bedroom and it has taken me about 6 months to figure out just what I wanted to do with it. The major thing is that I wanted to use a neutral color on the walls since it is a rental. We currently have a burgundy thing going on with white walls and mismatched furniture. I am not going to show a picture until I have an after picture to show! :)

I seem to be gravitating towards light and bright things in our house now. Two big things that can help achieve that is paint and drapes. Anyways, I wanted to show you my two inspiration bedrooms that really show what I am going for.

So I love things about both of these rooms! I'm not going to do the purple bench but I am doing a purple blanket like the second one. I just prefer the paint and sheet colors from the first one. I guess the second one really only shows the blanket and black furniture while the first one show pretty much everything else that I want.

Let me know what you think! I will have an before and after as soon as I get it all done!


Friday, March 23, 2012

Someone's trash! My treasure!

Hello all! 
I finally have a new post! This is something that I am really excited about sharing with you. I went into a thrift store about 2 months ago just to look around and I found this piece of crap dresser!
 They actually labeled the tag as "3 drawer dresser with side storage"! Can you believe that? I thought it was hilarious, but at least they didn't just toss it because I decided I would make something beautiful with it! I needed some extra hideaway storage in my craft room, which the drawers would be used for! I knew I could figure out something for the "side storage".

First I bought some satin black paint from Home Depot. And then painted the dresser.
The part with the basket took like 3 coats because it was the exposed mdf that would usually be hidden by drawers. After those coats it looked great! I love the finish of the satin. 
Although, it really needs a coat of poly or something because as soon as I set something on it, it chipped! I suppose that has something to do with the fact that I didn't sand it or prime it! It is just a dresser to give me storage until something better comes along. Oh well, I know for next time! I plan to put a clear coat on though. 
Next I wanted baskets but big ones are just not in my budget...well I guess they could be! So instead I bought a pack of 3 bankers boxes for 9 bucks at Wally-world and got some burlap from Hobby Lobby. I covered the boxes in white paper and then hot glued the burlap to the boxes. 
Ta-Da! Cute boxes that can actually hold quite a bit of stuff! They aren't full and now I have room to grow if I need. I only have that red table runner on there until I clear coat it. I don't know if I like the original hardware but that is another expense I need to save a little for. We will see if it changes. It might grow on me.

The finished project looks great though! I love the "side storage" I might even put shelves in it one day! There are other things I would like to tackle first though! 

Hope you enjoyed! Have a great weekend!